Whatever your holiday traditions may be, it can also be a stressful time of year. Family commitments, social commitments – financial stress and of course all the opportunities to eat amazing food!
Inspired by our friends at Oprah.com here are some tips to enjoy the holidays without giving in to the stress
- Cut yourself some slack – if you are having trouble getting to the gym maybe settle for a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood or toboganning with the kids a couple times a week.
- Dieting during the holidays adds a lot of extra stress – instead of going on a diet, go with the ‘eat, drink and be mindful’. Pay attention to what you’re eating and how much. Slow down and enjoy the experience of food around the holidays rather than eating too much in rush because you’re stressed
- Drink lots of water – this one is an easy tip for all year long but especially during the winter months when the weather can be much colder and drier.
- Mindless eating is only a momentary solution to holiday stress – try deep breathing instead – it might sound unsatisfying at first but by breathing deeply you combat your body’s hormonal response to stress by lowering cortisol levels in your blood. Cortisol is the hormone your body releases when you’re stressed.
- Laughter is a great way to reduce stress – whatever you need to do to get a case of the giggles going will release positive, feel good chemicals into your body.